1.1 Problem statement and specific requirements
To design and make a model motor bridge which has high structural efficiency which is high strength-to-weight ratio.
1. The model bridge may be constructed from standard sized ice-cream sticks only. No other material is allowed. The dimensions of the standard sized ice-cream sticks are estimated as follow:
Length: 113 mm Width: 10 mm Thickness 2 mm
2. The bridge must have a length between 550 mm and 650 mm, a maximum width of 120mm, a maximum height of 200 mm and a maximum weight of 500g.
3. To simulate a real-life bridge, the model bridge must have a deck for motor vehicles to travel on.
4. The bridge must be constructed to allow for the loading bar to be placed across the centre of the deck.
5. Loading will stop once bridge failure occurs. Bridge failure is defined as the inability of the bridge to carry additional load with any member of the bridge breaking, or total collapse whichever occurs first.
6. The structural efficiency, E, of the bridge will then be calculated.
E = Load supported in grams / Mass of bridge in grams